Auction Myths

Why use Darlows for property auctions? 

Darlows Auctions is an established company with over 15 years' experience of selling property under the hammer.

We are a dedicated Auction Team situation in South Wales covering a vast area. We sell a variety of homes ranging from terraced properties to derelict farmhouses, plots of land, barn conversions and much, much more.  

We have dedicated Darlows, butters john bee and haart offices across the country who will support and assist your journey on selling your property by Auction. These offices can access our large database of prospective buyers to aim to sell your property fast! Our first class service aims to get you the best price possible for your property with the added advantage of an exchange of contracts on the fall of the hammer. With a guaranteed, non-refundable 10% deposit received from the purchaser on the day, auctions provide a fast, stress free route to selling your home.

Still not sure if auctions are right for you? Let’s look at a few of the five most common myths surrounding auctions.

Myth: “I have to have all the money on the day of the auction”

Not at all. You’ll only have to pay a deposit of 10% of the purchase price on the day, and normally you’ll have another 4 weeks to complete the sale and pay the remaining 90%. 

Myth: “Only cash buyers can buy at auction.”

Another myth. The fact is, many auction buyers arrange mortgage finance for their purchase before the auction.

Myth: “There must be something wrong with the property if it's going to auction.” 

Not true. Many homes go to a property auction because of high demand for the property, because the vendor wants to sell quickly, or because they need to make the sale transparent. The condition of the property itself is often not a factor.

Myth: “Selling by auction is much more expensive than private treaty estate agency, it costs 10% of the selling price.”

Again, another common misconception. While selling by auction might be slightly more expensive to cover small setup costs, the selling fee is generally similar to regular estate agency.

Myth: ”First-time buyers can’t buy at auction.”

Thankfully, this isn’t true either. Your buying position is not relevant at all – in fact, we see many first time buyers at our auctions looking for a good first step on to the property ladder.